Point 660

It is at 0.66 km altitude (really only 0.585), so that is how it gets the name. Point 660 is about a 1.5 hour drive from Kanger through some of the most stark and beautiful landscape I have ever seen.

The C17 is still broken. Apparently changing a battery is a real challenge, so everyone is now flying commercial home. Helen, in a truly heroic move, turned the car around yesterday and is now heading to Philadelphia on Saturday to pick me up. I am flying Air Greenland today to Copenhagen, and then American to Philly tomorrow. Quite the journey for what should have been a 4 hour flight.

So, Point 660. I took a tour bus and was probably the only native English speaker there (everyone else, including a school trip, was Danish). But they were very forgiving of me and the guide gave most of the tour in English. We were able to see a wide variety of Alpine lakes, Caribou, Musk Ox, and Arctic Hares. I have completed the arctic set with the Polar Bear sighting.

The ice sheet edge was very cool, and we got to wander around for an hour. I have now seen the top and bottom of it. There are several glaciers on the journey (the most famous being the Russell), and they are just as impressive as they sound.

I was well out of signal on this trip, so I came back to Kanger with no C17 and a collection of emails saying that the ANG don't work at the weekend.........so, while talking with Helen I threw money at the problem and I have a way home. Steph, my boss on this project, has already said that flying commercial is OK, so I should bet reimbursed no problem.

Flights are on time, but it is raining in Kanger. This would stop the miliary flying, but commercial seems to be fine.....go figure.

OK - home on Saturday, all things being equal.

Glacier edge

Streams at Point 660

Albatross arctic travel bus

Beautiful Greenland

Long lake

Russell Glacier

Comments

Popular Posts